This is not a bad pick by any means, it just left me wanting more. The Browns had offers on the table to trade back, it sounded like multiple, probably one including going to 9 with the Jets who wanted Tavon Austin, WR, WVU. I think the Browns could have gone to 9 and still picked Mingo, or Milliner, while getting a second or third rounder. The way the draft played out that second rounder could be a very talented player. Truth be told, what Oakland did is what I was expecting the Browns to do. Trade back to between 9-13 and select the best available player, and get a second round pick.
Anyways, there a few situations that I would have preferred:
Trade with Jets:
Jets get the six overall pick (Tavon Austin, WR, WVU)
Browns get ninth overall pick (Barkevioous Mingo, LB, LSU OR Dee Milliner, CB, ALA, or DJ Hayden)
AND
Second Round pick (39 overall)
Available players possible at 39
Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse
Geno Smith, QB, WVU
Darius Slay, CB, Miss State
Kyle Ertz, TE, Stanford
Jonathon Cyprien, S, Florida International
Or a dozen other solid players that could probably start for the team next year.
I am not sad about the pick, I felt like the Browns were going to tank it worse than ever. It was a solid pick, and while I don't think Linebacker was as glaring a need as Cornerback, and unfortunately I think Milliner is a better CB than Mingo is LB. However, I think that having multiple pass rushers is a great thing. This does not tell me that the team has a ton of faith Sheard transitioning to OLB from DE. I like Sheard, I believe he is going to be solid next year, I see no person who is willing to start at the corner opposite Haden.
I just think the value wasn't there, the Browns said they are not going to fix the team in one year, one draft, one free-agency. Ok, maybe that is true. However, you don't need to overdraft someone a few spots ahead at a spot of debated priority need. Trading back and risking him sliding would have been worth it. Now, the Browns do not pick until the third round. If there is a decent corner back available at that point I would be astonished. Fingers crossed on that one!
However, there is some positive in all of this. Mingo is solid. He played at LSU, with that grueling, NFL ready conference. 6 foot 4, 4.5 40 yard dash, the nfl.com comparison player is DeMarcus Ware, Dallas Cowboys. He is fast, not huge, but can get around the field well. He needs to put on weight and bulk up some more to survive in the NFL. Should be solid. I think the only question was could they have gotten an additional pick and still taken Mingo?
Night Two Scenarios
I think that there are still some very good players available. The experts on ESPN are saying that they could see a run on QBs and CBs in round two. So where the Browns could have had a high level QB or CB in the 30s or early 40s, we are stuck waiting until the 3rd round (pick 68).
While I must remember something, imagine the Browns are drafting at 39, which is where they would be if they did not use the supplemental pick on Josh Gordon last summer. Many experts say that Gordon would be the top receiver in this year's class. So, just at draft pick 39, when the Browns are being skipped insert this idea:
With the 39th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Browns select, Josh Gordon, WR, Baylor/Utah.
Big guy 6 foot 3, 225 pounds, played with RGIII, cleaned up his act. He played pretty well last year, without a mini camp, and not playing in awhile. I think he is (was) a wise pick here!
So, there are still some good players remaining. the Browns will have to hope that a solid CB slides into the second round. Using McShay and Kiper's mock drafts for night two as a guideline list some of the possible options that may be around. I think CB is the biggest need at this point, with TE being possible as well.
Non-Trade Options ( 3rd Round: pick 68)
Cornerback options
Blidi Wreh-Wilson, CB, Conn
Jamar Taylor, CB, Boise
Tyrann "Honey Badger" Mathieu, CB, LSU
Jonathon Banks, CB, Miss State
Non-CB options
Gavin Escobar, TE, SDSU
Matt Barkley, QB, USC
Matt Scott, QB, ARZ
One of these players may slide down and would probably be a wise selection. I think that it wouldn't be a surprised to see the Browns trade back into the second round
Trade Scenario
I could see a QB sliding that the Browns want to get in on. I think that New England or Philly could be possible trade partners. I think Philly will take Geno Smith today. Not sure exactly who Cleveland would be going in to get, I thought Manuel was going to be there boy! I think the Bess thing will end up happening, I would guess a 5th rounder, not a bad value, but only if the other picks address CB first!
Trade with NE for the Browns third rounder and fifth rounder for the Browns to select Gavin Escobar, TE, SDSU.
No comments:
Post a Comment