This should be a much shorter entry than the defensive recap as far as free agent signs go. The Browns, as of today (4/9/13) The Browns have made it very clear that addressing the defense was a priority. While last years draft, including Josh Gordon's supplemental selection, was more geared towards the offense. The offense can not be neglected any longer! The defense was much stronger than people gave credit, and the offense was horrific. So let's review what is going on this off-season with the offense.
Areas of Need: TE, WR, OG, QB, FB
Notable Additions:
UPDATE
Jason Campbell, QB
Previous Team: Chicago Bears
Contract: 2 years, $3.75 million
While this did signal the end of Colt McCoy in Cleveland, it is a very wise signing. The Browns got great value, more affordable than McCoy, with more experience, skills, size, and experience. He is an NFL journeyman who is on his 4th NFL team since 2006. The Browns said they would bring in a veteran to compete with Weeden. This is an excellent choice, came via free agency as opposed to Flynn, Palmer, or Smith all of whom were traded. He is very affordable and has many great intangibles. I think he has a legit shot at being the week 1 starter, means the Browns don't have to reach in the first round for a mediocre QB and can wait until the later rounds to draft another QB, if they select one at all. Jason Camplbell was victim of continuous scheme changes in college and early in his NFL career, he can handle a new offense. He has never had a season where he threw more INTs than TDs, which is a welcome sign, take notes Weeden. This could be a great solution for the 2013 season yet not the long term answer they wanted. Great signing.
Gary Barnidge, TE
Previous Team: CAR
Contract: 3 years, $3.75 million: To say this signing unexciting is an understatement. This is seriously the biggest off-season signing the offense has made? Did I miss something? Did the new regime watch a different team last year? The one offense I watched was horrifying. A third-tier tight end is in no way going to improve that offense, particularly with Ben Watson leaving (per Mary Cay Cabot, Plain Dealer). I will stop being Debbie Downer. It is an absolute positive that Chud brought this guy from Carolina, that only speaks positives about his leadership, work ethic, and drive. This is all positive. He is young, big, and versatile. He is a good addition to the team, but in no way the answer at TE.
Chris Ogbonnoya, RB,
Previous Team: CLE
Contract: 2 years, undisclosed: So this is another signing that is not going to define the offense. However, I have really liked Ogbonnoya the last couple years. He is a great third option at RB behind Richardson and Hardesty. I think we will see him used a bit more in the passing game as well. Not the sexy hire, but probably the right hire. Many other holes that need to be filled, good value, I am happy to see he is back.
David Nelson, WR
Previous Team: Buffalo
Contract: 1 year, undisclosed at this time
I believe this signing is highly underrated. I watched this guy in Buffalo. He is a big, strong, athletic guy that can play all over the field. A 6 foot 5 slot receiver is a very valuable asset particularly what he could provide near the end zone. I feel as if this signing makes the WR position not an immediate need in the first few rounds of the draft. This is going to be a major impact signing for the Browns. The torn ACL should be completely repaired by the beginning of mini-camp. Great value, a point of need and a great fit.
Key Loses:
Update
Colt McCoy, QB: While I think Colt McCoy was never given a fair shot at QB in Cleveland the writing was on the wall. In fact, the trade did result in a draft pick improvement (McCoy and a 6th rounder for SFs 5th and a 7th) it is substantially better than cutting him, which would have eventually happened. I wish Colt the best and think backing up Colin Kappernick could result in playing time as Kappernick is always on the run. At least you can still hang out with Dawson in SF!
Josh Cribbs, WR/KR: While he was little used on the offense, he was an integral part of the Cleveland Browns. He provided leadership, accountability, and talent. He was a fan favorite and an asset The new regime saw him as despensible, I think this is a mistake. He should have retired in a Brown's jersey. I am sad that is gone, I do think he will be missed more in the locker room than on the field. He was a great Cleveland Brown who gave his all to a team that had one winning season in his time here. Thanks for the great memories Josh! I can honestly say best of luck to you and the Cardinals! Update: Cribbs failed his physical because of off season knee injury, he is still likely to eventually sign there.
Benjamin Waston, TE: While he did not have great numbers last year he is better than what the Browns have in place at TE now, a couple of mediocre third string (at best) TEs. He signed with the Saints who will probably use him more efficiently than Cleveland did. I would have loved to have seen how Turner and Chud could have used him with their TE experience. UPDATE: Signed with Saints
Mohamed Massaquoi, WR: He has may opportunities to prove himself. He was oft injured, minimal productivity and brought very little to the game. I am not surprised to see him gone and think he could easily be replaced in the draft.
Alex Smith, TE: He would be a great third TE, no big loss losing him. He tried to play full back, that failed, however he did seem semi-useful at points last year. I think he is another player that can easily be replaced. Right now though with no TEs on the market that seem to be heading Cleveland's way, he looks more valuable than he is.
Review:
This is not the off-season haul that I think many Browns fans were expecting. Barnidge does not exactly address the huge hole at TE. Jordan Cameron could be good still, however, TE is a huge point of focus in what Chud and Turner like to do on offense. I think that TE still really needs addressed. Getting a solid TE in the draft is possible, particularly if the browns trade back in the draft.
The guard position is important and needs to be filled, however this is less urgent than some of the other positions. This is also a place where the Browns would be able to draft quite well. This draft has a plethora of lineman. I think that it is important, but TE at this point seems like a much bigger concern. Getting depth at guard should be an area of emphasis. This can happen through some lower tier free agents and the draft. I think guard will be ok, but should not be neglected in the draft.
Wide receiver is an area that needs to be improved. I am not as down on the receivers as many other Browns faithful. I think Gordon is a solid receiver. He had not played football in almost two years going into this season. He is fast, athletic and a hard worker, he is an excellent wide-out and I think will only continue to improve. Little did have chlamydia-hands, but since Cribbs called him last year he improved. Big, powerful, fast guy. I am not giving up on Little just yet, I think he could be a great number two receiver for the Brown and Orange. Getting depth at this position is very important. I am glad they did not go after a high-risk, high-money, low-reward type of receiver.
I think that Gordon and Little will be very good offensive targets. I would like to see them target someone in the later rounds or go after a remaining free agent. I also think that Benjamin provides the Browns with some unique options and can fill in nicely for Cribbs on the field, off the field is a different story. I think a free-agent WR could be useful, but other areas are more important at this moment. An intriguing prospect is Domenick Hixon, went to Akron, is still available and would be an excellent addition to the receiving corps. The Browns has mild interest in Hixon, yet he has not been brought in yet. This could be an excellent and under the radar signing for the Browns. Another very interested prospect is Buffalo Bills WR David Nelson. He was injured last year but is a big guy (6 foot 5) who can really play. The Addition of Hixon or Nelson would really help depth at WR and
The QB debate is a tricky one. I am glad the Browns didn't spend huge money on any of the free agents or give up an picks in a trade. Sure Alex Smith would have been intriguing, but wasn't ideal. While he did have a great start to the 2012 season, his best yardage season falls shorts of Weeden's rookie season (3144 for Smith in 2011 and Weeded had 3385 in 2012). This should be troubling to Brown's fans. I think Weeden needs to be given a chance to perform and McCoy should be kept on the roster as well. He got a raw deal. I think that QB is an area of need, but in this draft there is no Andrew Luck or RGIII. I think Geno Smith would be a big mistake at the 6 pick. Just hang on and give those two a chance to compete for the starting job. Go from there. Update: Jason Campbell signed with the Browns and Colt McCoy has been traded, making everything above a moot point!
No comments:
Post a Comment