Thursday, April 25, 2013

7 Round Browns Mock Draft with Trades

Less than 100 hours until the NFL draft... Here is a projection of the Browns selections with multiple scenarios at each pick. The first list is without trades. Using ESPN.com's round projections as a guideline for who could potentially be available at those picks.

Hypothetical Picks (No Trades)

Round 1 Pick (6): Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama

*This would be a dream if Milliner would slide to six, unlikely, but is probably the only player worth the Browns taking at six. Other possibilities: Dion Jordan, LB, Oregon of Ezekial Ansah, LB, BYU

Round 2: Exercised on Josh Gordon in supplemental draft, who most have said would be the number 1 receiver taken this year, absolutely worth a second rounder!

Round 3 Pick (68): EJ Manuel, QB, FSU

*I think Cleveland really likes this guy. I doubt he would make it this long, which is why a trade back, particularly if Milliner was gone. He would be good value this far into the draft. Other possibilities: Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse.

Round 4 (104): Brian Winters, OG, KSU

*A bit of a homer pick, but guard at this point would be logical, and addresses need, at good value. I think that safety could be a pick around this point as well.

Round 5 (139): Bacari Rambo, S, Georgia
*Safety is a need, this guy is projected any where from round 3-5 by most. I would love a solid safety with Ward. TE at any point is probably logical here to.

Round 5 (164): Dion Simms, TE, Michigan State
*Huge, tough, solid TE option. I wouldn't be to surprised to see the Browns go at TE earlier in the draft.

Round 6 (175): Tommy Bohanon, FB, Wake Forrest
*For some reason I feel like this guy is going to wind up with the Browns, a fullback would be a nice addition.

Round 7 (227): Johnathon Stewart, ILB, Texas A & M
*Still need to do something in the draft about a pass rush. I love big inside linebackers.

This would be a nice haul in the draft and address many of the obviuos needs at CB with the top CB in the draft QB (maybe in a year or two), A guard project in Winters, a Safety with an awesome last name, big TE, blocking FB, and project linebacker. I don't see it going this way because I see Milliner being gone by pick 6, probably even at 5. A trade now seems logical.  There has been a good amount of talk that San Diego will trade up to get ahead of Arizona.

Let's go with the one I outlined in my full first round mock draft:


 San Diego: (6) Lane JohnsonOT, Oklahoma, 5 (164)
 Cleveland: 1 (11), 2 (45), and 6 (179)

Cleveland 
Round 1 Pick (11): Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama
*I think CB is a much bigger need but with Dee Milliner likely gone, trade back and get a great guard in Warmack. Some people would like Jonathon Cooper, OG, UNC, who also would be a great pick. Cleveland does not need the OT in Lane Johnson that Arizona and SD both covet. This would make a huge difference in the run and pass game, not sexy, but wise.

Round 2 Pick (45): DJ Hayden, CB, Houston
*It may be a stretch to think he is available at this point, but I would love this selection, some believe he is a better CB than Milliner, I disagree, but great value in the second round, even would be worth trading up a few picks to get him if need be. I can see it already "The Ha(y)den Brothers," most exciting secondary since... The Dawg Pound creation. If Hayden is gone I would guess QB is likely, Ryan Nassib, Syracuse or EJ Manuel, FSU would be possible.


Round 3 Pick (68): EJ Manuel, QB, FSU

*I still think that in this scenario the Browns would take EJ Manuel, and I wouldn't be shocked to see him be taken in the first or second round

TRADE!!!!
The Browns:  Round 3 Pick (91)
New England: Round 4 Pick (104), Round 7 (227), and 2014 5th round pick

Rouond 3 (91): Gavin Escobar, TE, San Diego State
*This guy slides and the Browns take advantage! Sending their 4th rounder (104) and next years 5th rounder, as well as this year's 7th rounder (227) for the right to select this guy. Great pick! Big fast, under rated pass catcher, can't wait to see what Chud and Turner can do with him!

Round 5 (139): Bacari Rambo, S, Georgia
*Safety is a need, this guy is projected any where from round 3-5 by most. I would love a solid safety with Ward. Great choice in both situations.

Round 5 (164): Chase Thomas, OLB, Stanford
*This transition to the 3-4 means more LBs, I wouldn't be surprised to see more than just one LB selected in the later round.

Round 6 (175): Tommy Bohanon, FB, Wake Forrest
*For some reason I feel like this guy is going to wind up with the Browns, a fullback would be a nice addition.

Let's review the two drafts (with arbitrary rating system employed!):

Areas of Need: CB, QB, TE, OG, S

First Scenario

Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama (5 Stars)
EJ Manuel, QB, FSU (3.5 Stars)
Brian Winters, OG, Kent (2.5 stars)
Bacari Rambo, S, Georgia, (2.5 stars)
Dion Simms, TE, Michigan State (2.5 stars)
Tommy Bohanon, FB, Wake Forrest (3 stars)
Jonathon Stewart, Texas A & M, (2 stars)

Second Scenario
Chance Warmack, G, Alabama (5 stars)
DJ Hayden, CB, Houston (4.5 stars)
EJ Manuel, QB, FSU (3.5 stars)
Gavin Escobar, TE, San Diego State (3.5 stars)
Bacari Rambo, S, Georgia, (2.5 stars)
Chase Thomas, OLB, Stanford (2.5 stars)
Tommy Bohanon, FB, Wake Forrest (3 stars)

Interestingly both drafts resulted in 7 picks, however the second one has a substantial amount more depth. This is contingent on many people sliding below projected draft position on ESPN, however that does happen frequently. I would  love to see Cleveland take advantage of a player who is sliding. I think trading out of the number 6 pick is very likely.  I would love to see a top tier guard and pick up a second round pick. Also, I see the possibility of trading back with SD or MIA to get a second rounder, which would then be sent to NE for QB Ryan Mallet. Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.













No comments: